Take the stress out of the vet at our feline friendly practice
The team at Lake Road Animal Hospital is committed to reducing stress, fear, and anxiety for cats during their office visits. Our exceptional team of cat advocates follows a specific set of initiatives to make cats as comfortable and happy as possible.
We strive to make every visit a pleasant one for all of our patients, training all of our staff in gentle techniques. However, for feline appointments we go even farther with the following:
- Calming pheromones and a feline-friendly environment (bring out the catnip!)
- Trained team members who understand cats
- Reduced stress for pets and their caregivers
Feline Friendly Practice
Lake Road Animal Hospital is proud to be a certified Cat Friendly Practice. This program is leading the movement to make veterinary care less stressful for cats and their caregivers. The compassionate team at Lake Road Animal Hospital strives to provide a fear-free experience for all patients. Using a feline-only exam room, calming pheromones, and team members trained in feline friendly and fear-free techniques greatly decreases the stress and anxiety in both our feline patients and their pet parents.
Established by the American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) and the International Society for Feline Medicine (ISFM), the Cat Friendly Practice® program is a global initiative designed to elevate care for cats by reducing the stress for the cat, caregiver, and also the entire veterinary team.
Cat-Friendly Attitude – The veterinary team is trained to speak softly, avoid direct eye contact with your cat, and move slowly. They know these actions help keep your cat calm and feeling in control. If any team member sees your cat becoming stressed or anxious, they will pause the check-up, let your cat take a break, and resume when she is calmer.
Educated Team Members – Our Cat Friendly Practice® have Cat Advocates who ensure all team members are trained to understand and handle them gently and respectfully. They can answer all of your questions and explain the specific cat-friendly features at the practice.
Gentle Handling – Team members use a “less is more” approach when examining your cat, without using heavy restraint which could frighten, stress, or arouse your cat. Your cat’s check-up may take place on the table, floor, or in the veterinarian’s lap wherever your cat is most comfortable.
Advice – Cat Advocates provide you with feline-specific tips, like how to get your cat comfortable with the carrier before the visit. They can also advise you on how to transport your cat to the veterinary office in a way to reduce stress associated with the visit for both you and your cat.
American Association of Feline Practitioners
The key to a healthy and happy cat is a well-informed and understanding owner.
International Cat Care
To engage, educate and empower people throughout the world to improve the health and welfare of cats by sharing advice, training, and passion.
Indoor Pet Initiative
To help you improve your indoor cat’s well-being and behavior in the home.
Tue: 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
Thur: 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am – 1:00 pm
Contact & Connect
Phone (call or text): 607-733-6503
Email: [email protected]
Directions from Corning:
- Take 17/86 east towards Binghamton
- Take Exit 53 (Horseheads) exit and stay to the right
- Go through two lights, and at the third light take a right onto South Main, this turns in to Lake Road
- The hospital is ~1.5 mile on the right
Directions from Elmira – local roads:
- Take Church St. or Water St.to the Madison Ave Bridge
- Take a left on to Madison Ave, this turns in to Lake St, and then to Lake Rd.
- Follow Lake St. to Lake Rd. past Curly’s Chicken, the hospital is ~1/2 mile on the left
Directions from Elmira – highway:
- Take 17/86 West towards Horseheads/Corning
- Take Exit 54 towards Horseheads/Rt 13
- Stay to the left to exit towards Horseheads
- At the light, take a left on to South Main which turns in to Lake Road
- The hospital is ~1.5 mile on the right