IF YOU HAVE AN EMERGENCY, PLEASE CONTACT OUR OFFICE AT (607) 733-6503 TO BE REFERRED TO THE NEAREST AVAILABLE EMERGENCY COVERAGE.
As a client at Lake Road Animal Hospital, you have emergency coverage that is split between local coverage, and coverage by Cornell Animal Hospital. The local coverage is provided on a rotating basis between our hospital, Corning Animal Hospital, Towne and Country Hospital, Chemung Valley Animal Hospital, Agape Veterinary Clinic, and Rio Vista Veterinary Hospital.
All weeknights are covered between 5 pm and 8 pm by these hospitals. Any emergencies will need to be referred to Cornell from 8 pm until 8 am the next day when we re-open.
On many Saturdays, Lake Road Animal Hospital is open for appointments from 9 am to 1 pm. If there is a medical emergency during times that we are not open, our clients are referred to the local hospital on call or Cornell Animal Hospital for emergencies during the day. Saturday evening calls will be referred to Cornell for emergency coverage.
Sunday coverage includes the local hospitals answering emergency calls on a rotating basis from 9 am until 2 pm. After that time, all calls will be referred to Cornell Animal Hospital.
Holiday coverage is strictly covered by Cornell Animal Hospital.
If your concern is imminent and you can not immediately speak with someone at Cornell, proceed to Cornell University Animal Hospital and call en route. Cornell is staffed 24 hours a day.
Cornell Animal Hospital:
Phone number – (607) 253-3060
Poison Control Information
Please be prepared before calling with the following information:
- Your name, address, and telephone number
- Information concerning the exposure (the amount of agent, the time since exposure, etc.). For various reasons, it is important to know exactly what poison the animal was exposed to. If the agent is part of the Animal Product Safety Service, the consultation is at no cost to the caller. Otherwise, the animal poison control centers charge a fee.
- The species, breed, age, sex, weight, and number of animals involved
- The problems your animal is experiencing
Free assistance is available from the human poison control agencies; unfortunately, many drugs have different effects in animals so the information may not be as accurate for your pet’s condition.
If you call, be prepared to write down any information, consultation numbers, etc. that your veterinarian may need in order to discuss treatment with the center. Also, make sure to bring the poison control phone number with you if you have your animal seen so the veterinarian knows which center to contact.
Animal Poison Control Center:
Online Resources For Emergencies
If you have any questions, you can attempt to search the following sites, however, realize that there are always new advances in medication and treatment/therapy. Please do not hesitate to call during our regular business hours to discuss any concerns you may have or schedule an appointment to have your pet examined. These are ONLY references.
Veterinary Partner Website
American Animal Hospital Association
American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
American Veterinary Medical Association
Center for Veterinary Medicine- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Indoor Pet Initiative
Mon: 8:00am – 6:00pm
Tues: 8:00am – 6:00pm
Wed: 8:00am – 8:00pm
Thurs: 8:00am – 6:00pm
Fri: 8:00am – 5:00pm
Sat: 8:00am – 1:00pm
Directions from Corning:
- Take 17/86 east towards Binghamton
- Take Exit 53 (Horseheads) exit and stay to the right
- Go through two lights, and at the third light take a right onto South Main, this turns in to Lake Road
- The hospital is ~1.5 mile on the right
Directions from Elmira – local roads:
- Take Church St. or Water St.to the Madison Ave Bridge
- Take a left on to Madison Ave, this turns in to Lake St, and then to Lake Rd.
- Follow Lake St. to Lake Rd. past Curly’s Chicken, the hospital is ~1/2 mile on the left
Directions from Elmira – highway:
- Take 17/86 West towards Horseheads/Corning
- Take Exit 54 towards Horseheads/Rt 13
- Stay to the left to exit towards Horseheads
- At the light, take a left on to South Main which turns in to Lake Road
- The hospital is ~1.5 mile on the right