Spring weather brings…Easter candy! While you and your children may enjoy the egg hunts and special candies, many sugary treats can be harmful to our pets.

Chocolate can be toxic to both cats and dogs, and many other ingredients in candy can spell trouble for our furry friends. Even the sugar-free varieties (especially gum), which are often sweetened with xylitol—are dangerous.

Be sure all candy is picked up and put into a safe location before bedtime. For a list of substances toxic to pets, visit the Pet Poison Helpline, and call our office at (607) 733-6503 if you think your pet might have accidentally consumed any candy. Immediate treatment is imperative if your pet has consumed chocolate, wrappers that may block his digestive system, or candy with the artificial sweetener, xylitol.

We hope you have a fun and safe holiday!